Category: Articles

Indicators of geopolitical shifts in the Middle East

The impact of Turkish and Iranian rapprochement will cause the Gulf States to face pressure from Iran and complicate the situation in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. These pressures and complexities may have been exacerbated by President Obama’s recent moves. Taken together, the regional nightmare has been redoubled. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan

Whose Internet?

Many states police their own inhabitants’ online activities but the US does it wholesale. Microsoft, Google and the rest have expressed their reservations. by Dan Schiller For years the US authorities have browbeaten other states, especially China and Iran, for repressing their citizens’ access to the Internet. We knew this was hypocritical even before Edward

The findings for the draft constitution of the Presidential and Parliamentary model

dr Bartłomiej Nowotarski THESES FOR CONSTITUTIONAL DEMOCRACY FOR NEW PROJECTS (Based on the analysis of consolidation more than 80 young global democracies in the twentieth and twenty-first century) Only 27% of countries, including those who had undergone a democratic transition since 1974, managed to consolidate their democracies. The remaining 73% could be called hybrid “autocratic-democratic.”

After the Arab Spring, economic challenges remain

Thomas Lagoarde ar-Segot economist (Euromed Management & GREQAM, Aix-Marseille University) The Arab Spring has undermined the social contract that bound the peoples of the southern Mediterranean to their leaders during the past three decades. This social contract has been modified in some countries (Algeria, Morocco, Jordan, Lebanon) and collapsed in other countries (Tunisia, Egypt, Libya,

Slight decline in the trade deficit of Tunisia during the first quarter

  The trade deficit of Tunisia decreased slightly during the first quarter of 2013, compared to the same period last year, reaching -2,418.9 million dinars (MD) is currently the MD against -2613.1 previous year. According to data released by the National Statistics Institute (INS), the rate of coverage of imports by lesexportations thus, gained 3.2